Moderna, Inc. (MRNA) stock announced third quarter 2021 financial results after which it became bearish today. MRNA stock saw a downtrend of 15.86% to drop at $291.05 a share at the time of this writing. The stock was also red in the previous trade and went down by 0.78% at closing. Let’s deep dive to understand more about this stock.
From Robots to Self-Driving Cars: 5 AI Stocks to Consider for Your Portfolio
The artificial intelligence (AI) revolution is already here and it's about to change everything we know about everything. With the global market for AI projected to grow from $137 billion in 2022 to over $1.81 trillion by 2030, there's never been a better time to invest in this burgeoning industry. That's why we've compiled a list of the Top 5 AI Stocks to Buy for 2023. These companies are at the forefront of the AI revolution, and have the potential to deliver huge returns to investors like you.
Get our free report, "Top 5 AI Stocks to Buy for 2023".
Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results:
- Moderna stock generated $5.0 billion in revenue in the third quarter of 2021, significantly higher than $157 million in the same prior-year period. Revenue for the nine months ended September 30, 2021, reached $11.3 billion compared to $232 million in the same tenure of the previous year. Commercial sales of the Covid-19 vaccine led to increased revenue in the reported period. The stock recorded 208 million and 510 million sales of its Covid-19 vaccine respectively for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2021.
- The MRNA stock reported $722 million or 15% cost of sales in the third quarter of 2021 that also includes third-party royalties of $168 million. For nine months, MRNA stock recorded $1.7 billion, or 16% in the cost of sales including third-party royalties of $400 million.
- MRNA stock spent $521 million in research and development expenses and $168 million in selling, general and administrative expenses in the third quarter of 2021. Previous year’s same period research and development expenses were $344 million and selling, general and administrative expenses were $48 million.
- Moderna stock recorded a net income of $3.3 billion in the third quarter of 2021 as compared to a net loss of $233 million in the same quarter of the previous year. Net income for the first nine months of 2021 was $7.3 billion compared to a $474 million net loss for the same period of 2020.
- Net cash from operating activities reached jumped from $763 million for the first nine months of 2020 to $10.3 billion for the first nine months of 2021. MRNA stock purchased property and equipment worth $164 million in the first nine months of 2021. By the end reported quarter, Moderna stock had $15.3 billion in cash and cash equivalents.
Covid-19 vaccine distribution:
Moderna stock has signed various agreements to deliver the Covid-19 vaccine. MRNA stock will deliver 110 million doses of Moderna Covid-19 vaccine to the Africa Union. Moreover, it will supply 116.5 million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine to Gavi, the vaccine alliance, by the second quarter of 2022. MRNA stock is looking forward to building a state-of-the-art mRNA facility in Africa that will produce 500 million doses every year at the 50-µg dose level.
Outlook of MRNA stock
Moderna stock has projected its product sales in the range of $15 billion to $18 billion for the full year 2021. MRNA stock expects 700 million to 800 million doses deliveries of its Covid-19 vaccine in the full year 2021. The cost of sales is expected to be between 16% to 17% and capital expenditures of $0.4 billion for full-year 2021.